A one-day guided tour led by qualified archaeologists from Achill Archaeological Field School.
Dates: Saturday 20 July; 17 August 2019. To arrange this tour for another date please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. A minimum of 3 people are required.
Cost: €75 per person
Cost includes transport from Achill Folklife Centre, Dooagh. Tour departs at 8:00 am. Pickup can be arranged in Mulranny. All our tours are led by expert guides from Achill Archaeological Field School.
- Drive to Mullranny from Achill and take the scenic route along the coast to North Mayo, viewing the spectacular vista of the north face of Slievemore Mountain.
- Stop at the world-famous Ceide Fields Visitor Centre, view the Video presentation and avail of a Guided Tour of the Neolithic Field walls. Lunch.
- Travel on towards Ballycastle, stopping at Doonfeeny Graveyard to see the tallest (now Christianised) prehistoric standing stone in Ireland.
- Continue on to the Brestagh Ogham Stone which stants 8 feet tall and is incised with ogham, the earliest known writing in Ireland.
- Vist Rathfran Dominican Friary, founded in A.D. 1274 and the nearby Neolithic / Early Bronze Age Rathfran Wedge Tomb.
- Continue to the town of Killala to view the Round Tower that dates to the 9th / 10th Century A.D.
- Return to Achill via Ballina.
To book please email us at email@example.com